Saturday, February 27, 2010

new couches

After much searching, we finally found the leather couches we've always wanted. We loved our old comfy couch, but it just wasn't enough seating for our family of 7. Granted 5 of the 7 have very little bums, but it was tight, especially for family home evening and scripture study. So we got 2 full size couches, and now we are set. The day we got them Dave went over the new couch rules with the boys - no climbing on the back, no sharp objects, no food, etc. The very next day he found 2 thumb tacks on one of the couches. Grrrr.

When they first delivered them I was a tad stressed. They were so dark (it was hard to imagine what they'd look like from a 2" color sample), and they seemed heavy in the otherwise light room. But after a day or two of adjusting, I love them. I love the smell of leather, the soft feel, the contemporary look. I have spent less time on the computer because I'd much rather sit on my couches while nursing. Now we just have to decide on an arrangement. I like having them across from each other - it looks so beautiful in the room and is great for conversation. But Dave likes them in an L-shape facing the T.V., because otherwise one couch has its back to the T.V. and there's no room to play the Wii. I see his point, but I'm just not liking it as much. I say we get rid of the T.V. and just sit on our couches and look at each other.

4 comments:

Missa said...

Hilary--they are so beautiful!! I am so excited for you all. We've been working this year on not jumping on the couch. Good luck training your kids.

Sonian said...

I agree that the tv should not be the focal point of the room.

Hilary said...

we compromised and put the couches across from each other and diagonal from the t.v. so that the t.v. is not the focal point of the room but is still visible from both couches.

Jen said...

I think your couch arrangement sounds like a good solution. and they really are beautiful; I bet they coordinate well with the dining room table (though the two are separated somewhat in both time and space).