Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Snow Trip

We had an awesome trip to the snow! We were a little bit nervous about going when we saw that there was a winter weather warning for Monday and Tuesday (exactly when we were going) with a possible 2-3 feet of snow and high winds. Hmmm. But the cabin was reserved, everyone was off work and school for President's day, and we were all fairly healthy; we figured - better to go when there's snow than no snow. So we packed the snow chains as well as extra clothes and food in case we got snowed in and headed up yesterday morning. It ended up not being too bad for travel. We didn't hit snow until the last 1000 feet of elevation. Then Dave put the chains on and drove nice and slow for the last few miles. It snowed heavily all day and continued until this morning, but the snow plows were going pretty constantly.
It's a good thing I got a couple pictures of Brennan when we first got there, because that's pretty much all he saw of the snow. He decided to stay inside the cozy cabin the rest of the time. Then he took a nice long nap while the rest of us enjoyed the snow.
The snow was perfect for snowballs and snowmen - wet and easy to pack.
They spent hours playing in the snow - sledding and snowball fighting, Dave against the boys. They especially liked climbing the huge mountains of snow made by the snow plows, playing king of the mountain, and making forts at the top.
I was amazed by their stamina. It really wasn't too windy or cold out, and they didn't seem to notice that their hands and feet were getting wet. Dave said this was the first snow trip where they wore him out, instead of the other way around. Usually they're ready to come in much sooner than he is. Here's Spencer in his fort getting ready to throw a snow ball at Dave. I had to be careful not to get in the line of fire. Dallin hit me once and I had to explain the cardinal rule - don't ever hit mom with snow. It's a dad thing, not a mom thing. Plus I had the camera, and I didn't want to get it wet.
They stopped by the cabin for hot chocolate and dinner from 4-5, and then they went right back out for another hour and a half of sledding! I started to worry when it got dark and the temperature dropped and they weren't back yet, but Dave was with them and he said they just didn't want to stop. Even Dallin would be the first one to get to the top of the huge hill and didn't care when his face got covered with snow on the way down.
I'm the smart one staying warm and dry at the cabin. Once I got the pictures I wanted, I had no reason to be outside anymore. So I stayed inside and read my book and enjoyed looking out the windows at the beautiful falling snow. Good-bye snow. Here's our last shot of the snow-heavy trees as we headed out this morning. So pretty! I'm sure glad I wasn't the one driving in it. We got back in time for Dave to go to work after lunch, and he brought the staff a little cooler full of snow. They shrieked in excitement and threw snowballs at each other.

3 comments:

Mrs Abbott said...

Wow, Hilary! That's amazing snow for California people! I want to go there!!

Double D said...

Great pictures! What a cool family trip!

Jen said...

That sounds and looks like so much fun--the right kinds of fun for each person.