Monday, August 12, 2013

Summer Cooking Classes

When we sat down to plan our summer, my boys told me they wanted to have cooking classes.  The summer is almost over, and we've only had 2, but they were both great. First we made bread dough. I lined them all up at the counter, read off each ingredient, and passed it down the line so they could measure it and put it in themselves.

They each made a half a batch of basic white bread dough, and then they used their dough to make whatever they wanted. They chose cinnamon bread, pretzels, bagels, fried scones and monkey bread. I had just made a big batch of strawberry freezer jam, and that was especially tasty on the bread. 
 
Our second class was chocolate chip cookies. This was a great choice, because Spencer and Dallin have each made cookies on their own since the class.
 
 

It's amazing how many little cooking tips came up throughout our classes. We talked about dividing fractions (they each made half a batch), measuring wet versus dry ingredients, reducing the salt when using salted butter, altering cooking times for different pans, etc.


 Things got a little silly, as you can imagine. Amazingly, the cookies all turned out great.

After they finished making the basic dough, I got out a bunch of  yummy things and let them choose whatever mix-ins they wanted: semi-sweet chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, white chocolate chips, and Oreo chunks. No one wanted nuts.
 
Levi and Dallin wanted lots of everything. Spencer wanted just a few white chocolate chips.


Tyler wanted to make his S'mores-style, so we took his out of the oven 2 minutes early. He stuck half a big marshmallow on top and sprinkled them with graham cracker crumbs. Then we put them back in the oven for the last couple of minutes.

Oh my goodness, YUM!!
 
Brennan's cute French chef pose!

Dallin was so excited that he made these all by himself and can now have cookies whenever he wants! I thought about making muffins or some kind of dinner next, but I can't decide. What do you think we should do?

2 comments:

Aaron said...

That's a really cool idea. If Marrisse did that, I think I'd be lined up with the kids.
I would suggest a main course next; then you could assign one of the kids to make dinner if you were going to be shuttling people around at dinner time.

Anonymous said...

That sounds very fun! We've made pretzels a few times lately, which were fun to shape & sprinkle w/ kosher salt or cinnamon sugar. I help my kids learn to make their favorite dinners; seems like a good skill. I would recommend pizza next, starting w/ homemade dough, and putting on the toppings they like, like @ the culinary institute. Emily