Monday, August 19, 2013

Dallin's Watermelon Birthday

Dallin turned 9 and had a super fun birthday party a few weeks ago. We invited 6 friends (3 cousins and 3 friends from church) to go to the water park and used our half-off tickets we got when we signed up for summer passes. Plus we went after 3:00, making it even cheaper.

I never take my camera to the water park, but since I didn't have Levi and Chloe with me (I left them with Kristen), I didn't get in the water and was able to take pictures instead.

Tyler and Dave like the "toilet bowl" slide best. It's a little too fast and disorienting for me. My favorite are the tube slides.
 

Tyler also likes the "wedgie." I sat at the top once, but then I chickened out. It looks like it goes straight down. My boys are so much braver than I am!








Everyone had a great time. They pretty much stayed together in the wave pool and lazy river, but then they broke up into smaller groups for the slides. The two + hours went by really fast.



Then we drove everyone to our house for pizza and the rest of the party. As Dallin mentioned in his blog, it was a watermelon theme. I set up streamers to look like a big slice of watermelon. See the black seeds?
 
I loved how the cake turned out!! I found this on pinterest and pretty much made it exactly as described. There's pureed watermelon in the cake batter, chocolate chip "seeds," green fondant with painted darker green stripes, and a chocolate disk "stem." Those are real watermelon slices on the side, just for looks. When people walked into the kitchen, they thought it was a real watermelon sitting there.
 

Dallin is notoriously difficult to buy gifts for, but he loved everything he got for his birthday. Yay!

There's even some cocoa powder "dirt" smudges on the side. I had fun making this cake.
 
Is that beautiful, or what? It was tasty, too. I also made some watermelon cupcakes to make sure there would be enough for everyone (the rest of my family came for this part of the party), but I liked the watermelon slices best!

2 comments:

Jen said...

What a fun party! The watermelon streamers are so clever. The cake is unbelievably realistic. Wow, good job!

Mrs Abbott said...

I love it! Good choice not to go down "the wedgie" too!