Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Happy 6th Birthday Brennan!

Brennan turned 6 two weeks ago. Every time I make him a birthday cake, I am so thankful I get to make a real cake and not an icky gluten/dairy/egg-free cake. This one was half strawberry and half chocolate - it was super yummy. I especially like the magnifying glass. 

For his school treats he asked me to make chocolate marshmallow brownies. I've made these a few times, and they're really good. You make brownies, and about 4 minutes before they're done, you take them out of the oven and cover them with mini marshmallows. Then you put them back in the oven until they're done and the marshmallows are all melted together. When they've cooled completely, you smother them with chocolate frosting.

They were a big hit!

He's wearing his favorite present: a leather jacket. He's wanted one for a long time, but I assumed it would be way too expensive. Then I actually found one (fake leather, but it looks really cool) at Kohls a few months ago, and it was $68! So I watched and waited for it to go on sale. On black Friday I went there with 30% off and $10 off coupons. The jacket was already 60% off that day, so I ended up paying about $15! He loves it and wears it all the time.

He didn't have a friend party, since he had one last year. But we had my family over for cake and presents. His cousins gave him a remote control stunt car, and they all love playing with it. It's the best one we've had. 

When Brennan started school he became much more sensitive about his eye tattoo (given to him by a pencil when he was 15 months old). So we recently took him to an ophthalmology plastic surgeon, and we found out it's a simple office procedure to have it removed; however because of his age, he would need general anesthesia. We've decided to wait until he's old enough to have it done with just local anesthesia - about 12 years old.

Another fun gift we got him was Shrinky Dinks, which you can kinda see in the background. I used to love those when I was little, and he's really enjoying them. He's a huge craft person, and he loves watching them shrink.

One of the biggest challenges of my life right now is the relationship between Brennan and Levi. They fight constantly - way more than any of my other kids ever have. It's either from their personality differences or their 3-year age difference (I'm guessing?), but whatever the reason, I am at my whit's end. I've read Siblings Without Rivalry, and it's helped some, but it's just exhausting. I'm pretty sure they love each other because they always want to wake the other one up to "play." So the rare moment when they are happily playing together just makes me want to shout for joy. Here they are playing in a big box from Amazon before school. I'm hoping they can become better friends this year.

No comments: