Thursday, February 17, 2011

Valentine's Day

We had a low-key Valentine's Day this year, since I was recovering from a stomach bug. But luckily we did most of our celebrating the week before. The boys had school parties on Friday, I made a couple batches of truffles (raspberry and almond), and we tried out a fancy new restaurant on date night (it's called Robert's, and I highly recommend it).

My boys LOVE this holiday. They started making their valentines on Monday, and they insisted on making their own (I guess they get that from me). Dallin found heart-shaped slinkies at the store, which was just perfect for him. He taped them onto paper hearts and doilies.


Tyler found a goofy heart-shaped face online to print, cut out and tape onto lollipops.


Spencer made paper airplanes with "You're just plane awesome!" printed on the wing. They were a huge hit.
For lunch I cut out heart-shaped sandwiches for the boys, who were off school for teacher in service. For dinner I made BBQ chicken and roasted potatoes. It's one of my family's favorite foods in the world. We exchanged cards and gave the boys little boxes of chocolates.

I framed this picture (which Brennan took) to give Dave. After dinner we drove around delivering truffles to home teaching families. I'm all back to normal now and enjoying Lindt chocolate from Dave.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, Hilary. I love your hair! It's quite light, and a cute cut. Have I just not seen you in a while, or is it new? Also, I'm impressed with your kids' valentines. It was enough for my kids to write names on their store-bought ones and tape on candy. Clearly, MY children.
Emily

Hilary said...

thanks emily! it might look lighter in the picture than it really is, but yes, i just got it cut and highlighted. and i tried to talk my kids into buying valentines, since we had to do over 90 this year, but they wouldn't go for it.

Missa said...

You know there are many times when I wish I lived closer to you. Truffle times are one of those times. Just hearing about them makes my mouth water.

Jen said...

Brennan took the picture of you!?!

Hilary said...

i kept trying to take a picture with the self-timer, but i couldn't get it to focus. so I had brennan do it (it was on a tripod), and he did a great job. in fact he loved it and has asked several times if he could take my picture again.