Monday, July 13, 2009

Another Beach Blog

I'm sorry I keep posting beach blogs, but it's one of my favorite places to take pictures. Plus maybe it'll make someone else in my family want to move here. Hey, it's worth a try.

Saturday morning Dave put together our new bedroom end tables (love them!) while the boys and I continued to clean bedrooms and organize closets. I'm always so motivated to organize when I'm pregnant. I don't know if it's nesting or the fact that messes drive me more crazy than usual.

Then we loaded up the car and headed over to the beach. It was the most perfect day there! And Tyler is one of the most photogenic people I know. Have you noticed I take a ton of close-ups of his face? I just can't help myself.
And of course Spencer had to dig a big hole to lie in. We bring the big shovel now - no messing around with little plastic sand shovels.

Dave putting together our new trick kite. Unfortunately there wasn't enough wind to keep it in the air. But the lack of wind meant I was totally comfortable, relaxing in my chair in the shade of the beach umbrella. Dave pulling Dallin around on the boogie board.

There was a lady near us with a baby about 6 months old who cried on and off the whole time. Babies don't like the beach - all that sun, wind and sand. It made me realize that our kids are all great ages for the beach right now. They all entertain themselves and don't cry when they get wet and cold or when sand gets in their eyes. Of course that will change in a few months, so we are taking advantage of this while we can. Then we drove down the coast a few miles for fish and chips at the bay. By the way, I learned a cool silhouette trick from Pioneer Woman. The camera reads the light at the center so that the subject, which is usually in the center, has the correct exposure to be seen clearly. When I did that, it totally washed out the big rock and boat in the background. But you can trick the camera by first focusing on the brightest spot in the sky and holding the button halfway down while moving your camera to the right position; then you push the button down the rest of the way to take the picture. This makes the subjects dark while keeping the background visible. I thought it gave this picture a cool effect. Plus this way you don't have to see mouths full of food. We're working on that whole eating with your mouth closed thing, but we're not there yet.

No comments: