Saturday, July 9, 2016

Cousins visit us from Hawaii

My sister Ellen and her family came from Hawaii to visit a few weeks ago. First they went to Arizona for Jason's sister's wedding, and then they drove to Utah to visit all our family there. It was a mini reunion (i.e. all of my family was there except me and Kristen), and I really wanted to go too. The problem was that it was the busiest end-of-the-year week for us, and I couldn't get away. Luckily, Ellen and Jason came here to see us too! We all had dinner at my parents' house. 

We got to meet sweet little Rachel. Isn't she a doll?! I was her nursery teacher at church, and she totally attached herself to me. Maybe she can see the family resemblance. It was actually her first official week attending nursery, so she was exactly 18 months old. 

I had a hard time getting pictures of Brian (who is 1 month older than Chloe). He was always moving and roaring and turning his hand into a claw or gun.

I made Texas sheet cakes for dessert (one of my faves), and you would not believe how fast they disappeared! I made a big pan with nuts and a smaller pan without nuts. 

Well, maybe you can believe it with this crowd. It was quite the feeding frenzy! One cool thing I recently discovered: dehydrated sour cream. I can mix it up whenever I want to bake something that calls for sour cream, which I don't usually have on hand.

After mostly boy cousins came into our family, we are starting to get a few girls! They knew they needed to stick together!

They were only here for a few days, and we tagged along with them one day. I got Brennan and Levi out of school early and met them in Morro Bay for fish and chips. Not much happens the last week of school anyway!

What a great family!! I wished they lived closer!

Kristen and Kate went too. I'm glad no kids fell in the bay while we were preoccupied getting our picture taken.

I can't remember what kind of animal this was (sea lion? harbor seal?), but anyway, it put on a show for us. 

Then we drove over to the beach. It was a little chilly, especially compared to Hawaiian beaches. They had to buy sweatshirts for the trip. 

 Cute pictures of Jason and Rachel!

Good job, Levi! Ellen's family went to the Elfin Forest after this, but we had to get back home. I invited everyone over for dinner than night.


Alec set up his slack line in our backyard. Look at our poor, dead grass!

 After dinner (I grilled pork steaks), we had shave ice for dessert.

The slack line also provided extra seating ;) 

Last Christmas, when Levi saw Ellen's Christmas card, he asked me, "Who are these people?" Yikes! I'm so glad they came to visit us so they can get to know each other!!

No comments: